Brimham Rocks

I remembered the name Brimham Rocks from my childhood. Did we visit on a family holiday once? We certainly had a couple of Yorkshire-based holidays when I was young. I have also certainly cycled near here when I was a student at York University. Back in November 2019 we were looking for a day out, not too far from York and some friends suggested Brimham Rocks. I wasn't sure about it really - just a pile of rocks? But anyway, less than hour to drive from the east side of York - it's about 30 miles away, or about 10-12 miles Northwest of Harrogate. Brimham Rocks is just outside of the Yorkshire Dales National Park and there are some more roads around there I'd like to explore.

Brimham Rocks

Brimham Rocks is a National Trust site, and I reckon it gets quite busy. We went on a cold day, mostly cloudy, but got sunny later - and the car park was pretty full when we arrived. There is no entry fee, but there is a parking charge of £6 per car. Very reasonable. And then it's all about the rocks. Suggest printing a map of the area before walking around - see here. We spent about 90 minutes here - would have been longer, but it was a little cold for us!

Brimham Rocks

Brimham Rocks

(above) There's a little cafe at the far end of the site, and we bought hot chocolate as the sun came out on a cold day.

Brimham Rocks

Brimham Rocks

(above) View across the rocks from just above the cafe.

Brimham Rocks

So there's a place we'll visit again, maybe on a long summer day as part of a day out in that part of Yorkshire around Nidderdale.

Comments