Northern Lights Show at York Minster

At the heart of York is the amazing Minster. No matter if you are religious or not, you have to admit that Britain has lots of amazing churches, cathedrals and Minsters. Personally, I am atheist, but that does not mean I cannot appreciate architecture! Where I used to live in Phuket, I wrote on my blog about Buddhist Temples, Mosques and Churches. York has many smaller churches, but there's only one Minster.

In October 2019, there was an event at the Minster called 'Northern Lights' - a light and sound show by The Projection Studio. Sounded interesting and I wanted to drag the family out to do something vaguely cultural. It was promoted as a spectacular light show inside the Minster, and had already taken place the previous year. Tickets had been on sale for months, but I had no problem buying a few weeks in advance. In the end every night was sold out - 2 shows per night at 7pm and 9pm. We booked the later show on October 29th. We were inside before 8:30pm allowing for a little walk around. No seats for this show - the idea is to stand under the roof and watch the show - they ran it 2 times, advising people to move around to a different viewpoint for the second show. The whole thing lasted under 30 minutes but was indeed quite spectacular. You have to get some culture when in York.

I took lots of photos (with my rather old iPhone), some of which kind of capture the event. £6 per ticket, not too bad.

York Minster Northern Lights

York Minster Northern Lights

York Minster Northern Lights

York Minster Northern Lights

York Minster Northern Lights

Not sure if the event will happen again in 2020, best place to check is the York Minster website.

Comments